Pao Pao Pao 2018 Brings the Best of Māori Music to the Capital
The Puatatangi Committee of Toi Māori Aotearoa is thrilled to announce the first installment of stellar performers to play Pao Pao Pao in 2018.
The musical showcase, now in its 17th year, will be held on Saturday 17th February, 2018 at Pipitea Marae in Wellington and is designed to celebrate the diversity of M?ori music forms.
The first line-up announcement for Pao Pao Pao 2018 features:
- Acclaimed Haka-soul Musician and Pao Pao Pao mentor ROB RUHA, supported by THE WITCH PROJECT;
- Solo a cappella songstress and queen of loops, MIHIRANGI
- Wellington-based soul, RnB and roots band GROVE ROOTS, featuring the powerful vocals of SIANNE
- Māori Gospel-Soul artist KAATERAMA, winner of the Emerging Artist Under 25 Award at the 10th annual Waiata Māori Music Awards in 2017;
- plus, celebrated slam poet TE KAHU ROLLESTON will perform his works in both English and Te Reo Māori.
A second line-up announcement featuring more artists who will be performing on the night will be released in January.
Producer Toni Huata said: "Pao Pao Pao has a history of showcasing the best of contemporary Māori music and our 2018 event will continue that proud legacy by featuring some of our most well-established and internationally acclaimed artists alongside some exceptionally talented newcomers. This is a unique opportunity for Kiwi music-lovers to experience a hugely diverse array of contemporary Māori musicianship and to celebrate our language and our culture.
Supported with funding from Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori, the Māori Language Commission and Creative New Zealand, Pao Pao Pao 2018 promises to deliver a night of inspirational entertainment and is suitable for all ages.
Back to Artist News