Intern Applications for Industry Internship Programme Are Now Open
The New Zealand Music Commission invites potential Interns to apply for sixteen roles across the music industry.
The Music Commission’s Industry Internship Programme will run for the third time in early 2020, with the goal of growing the knowledge, networks and career potential of emerging music professionals. The internship roles are generally suited to recent graduates, or people wanting to kick start a career in the music industry.
Applications to be an Intern in 2020 are open until 29 January, Internships will start in late February or early March. All Internships must be completed by 30 June 2020.
This intake, we’re thrilled to announce the Programme will have a record number of Internship positions available. There are sixteen Internships in total, an increase on previous years, due to the high level of interest in the Programme.
We are asking people to identify which of these sixteen roles they would like to apply for. Applicants can apply for a maximum of three Internship positions. The roles available for 2020 are:
1. Member Communications - 2 days (16 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Supporting the Communication & Events team of an organisation representing songwriters via key communications, social media, awards, and events.
2. Event Assistant - 2 days (16 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Providing important support to the Event Director and Event Publicist to ensure the successful execution of our all ages events
3. Assistant Audio Engineer - 2 days (16 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Assist the Engineer in all aspects of running and operating a recording studio, including recording, mixing and studio maintenance
4. Assistant to the Studio Manager & In-House engineers - 4 days (32 hours) - 10 weeks - Auckland
This varied role will cover assisting the Studio Manager and engineers with daily tasks including recording and mixing sessions, studio upkeep, social media, organisation and cataloging digital content, being a general runner and hosting clients.
5. Catalogue Delivery Assistant - 2 days (16 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
Set up and delivery of new music releases (singles, EPs, albums) to digital music streaming and download platforms.
6. Admin / Licensing Assistant - 2 days (16 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
To assist with adminstration and licensing music within an independent music publishing company.
7. Video Content Editor/Producer for Radio - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Christchurch
Content capture and editor/producer position with an independent radio station.
8. PR & Management Assistant - 3 days (24 hours) - 12 weeks - Auckland
An all-rounder and go getter who lives and breathes music; someone who has a genuine passion for the local music scene and wants to learn about these facets of the industry.
9. Kaiāwhina Puoro Māori / Māori Music Intern - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Wellington
To support the continued implementation and development of a Māori Music Strategy in order to grow and develop Māori music in Aotearoa.
10. Festival Operations Intern - 4 days (32 hours) - 10 weeks - Wellington
Assist in one or more key areas of festival operations, including technical production, venues and licensing, security and traffic works, accessibility, artistic administration and logistics. A role for someone who loves event production.
11. Studio & Event Assistant - 2 days (16 hours) - 16 weeks - Palmerston North
Assisting the studio and management team in operating a live music venue, rehearsal studios, and recording studio.
12. Assistant Engineer - 3 days (24 hours) - 16 weeks - Auckland
To work alongside engineers, assisting in all aspects of recording and mixing, to gain understanding of music production and studio management and operations.
13. Production & Management Assistant - 3 days (24 hours) - 14 weeks - Auckland
General support for a digital creative production agency with integrated music, sound, video and arts programmes. Working on in-house independent projects and external collaborations with other organisations in both the private and community sectors.
14. Record Label & Store Media Coordinator & Contributor - 2 days (16 hours) - 12 weeks - Wellington
Developing, updating, coordinating and promotion of an independent record store and label's media platforms.
15. Management Assistant - 3 days (24 hours) - 12 weeks - Auckland
Providing support to the manager across all areas of management in the work of their artists.
16. Recording Studios Engineering & Admin Assistant - 3 days (24 hours) - 10 weeks - Auckland
Studio administration and engineering assistance to key producers and one-off clients at our complex of 12 recording studios.
When submitting an application, please tick the appropriate box, or boxes, for the position you are applying for. You can apply for a maximum of three roles.
Link to the Intern Application Form here.
Download the Industry Internship Programme FAQ’s here.
Download the How To Write A Great Cover Letter & CV resource here.
Applications close at 5:00pm on Monday 20 January 2020.
The NZ Music Commission strongly believes that music is a vital and vibrant part of our culture and is excited to facilitate these partnerships as part of its ongoing work to support the growth of the NZ music industry.Back to Commission News